This is my ruler and notepad tattoo. I believe that tattoos can be used for functionality as well as memory. I’m a designer, so I use the ruler for buttons, zippers, and trim widths. Usually the notepad has an address or to-do list on it. :)
"For six months, she taught them how to swing dance and swear like a sailor. Made Thomas learn to sew and took away Julia’s dolls and gave her trucks so she’d grow up tough. I don’t know if those last six months made up for a lifetime of horrors, but she sure seemed happy.”
1. Listen to your parents when they try to teach you about your heritage. Do not dismiss them for being old fashioned or too traditional. There is truth in their lessons and you will learn it when you’re older. Remember that there are things you can teach them too.
2. Spend more time with your grandparents while you have it. When your mother makes you go to visit them at the nursing home, go willingly. Do not spend the whole trip silent and cranky. Give them a hug. Give them kisses. Ask them to tell their stories and do not let their stories die with them. Cry at the funeral. Ask your mother to explain what the monk or priest is saying.
3. Stop sucking in your stomach when you look at it in the shower. Stand up straight. Sit up straight. Stop obsessing over your collarbones. Eat breakfast. Eat lunch. Eat dinner. Do not let yourself fall victim to bad habits early on.
4. Keep practicing piano even though you don’t like it. You will appreciate it later on.
5. Learn how to communicate effectively early on. Express what you have a problem with and think about what you can do to change it. No one will read your mind and if you have a problem with someone, you have to tell them. It’s easy to complain but what you need to do is change what needs changing.
6. Do not let your parents pass down their hate. They will try, but ask them how to love properly instead. You are sixteen and you still don’t know how.
7. Do not fall for boys’ words. Do not become interested in someone just because they are interested in you. Do not date someone because you are lonely.
8. When he touches you the first time without permission with a smirk on his face, push him away as violently as he came. When he sends you flirty text messages, turn him down firmly. You do not owe politeness to people who do not respect your personal space.
9. Stop apologizing for your existence. You are allowed to exist.
10. Read. You hate books because you are not patient enough to finish them. Keep writing and keep reading.
11. Don’t let the world turn you into a cynic. Don’t let anybody steal your warmth.